You have an excellent resume. Your senior-level, for-profit business experience is outstanding. But will it count in the much different world of nonprofits?
Bridgestar, which specializes in matching private sector talent with social sector opportunities, has this advice to recast your resume for your encore career:
Emphasize your transferable skills and nonprofit experience
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Have I articulated my experience clearly and emphasized the transferability of my skills from the for-profit sector to the nonprofit sector?
- Have I described fully and prominently all of my experience in the nonprofit sector, including any I may have gained as a volunteer, board member or committee member?
- Have I included descriptions of the companies I have worked for if their names might be unfamiliar to someone outside my field?
- Have I removed jargon that may only be understandable or relevant to someone in my previous field?
Be driven by mission and results
Recast your resume by:
- Including an objective at the top to help nonprofit hiring managers quickly assess you for opportunities in a specific functional area
- Using a consistent format for both your professional and volunteer histories, helping the reader look at your experience holistically across sectors
- Using a “results” bullet in each job description to call attention to and quantify your accomplishments, presenting the picture of a capable, results-oriented person who can be effective in a variety of settings
- Including a "career profile" at the top of your resume to put your nonprofit experience on a par with your professional history and highlight your skills that are highly transferable across sectors
- Providing extensive detail on your community experience first, rather than crowding it into a line or two at the bottom of your resume
This article was originally published by Encore.org on Jan 20, 2009.
Next Avenue Editors Also Recommend:
- Put Your Retirement Plan Back on Track
- Put a Unique Focus on Your Résumé to Make an Impact
- Change the World With a Second Career
If so, thank you. Your financial gift helps us fulfill our mission of being an essential source of news and information for older adults. Just as important, your contribution demonstrates that you believe in the value of our work. We have a lot of exciting things planned in 2020 and we need your help to make sure they happen.
Haven’t given yet? Please make a gift today and help us reach our end-of-year goal — any amount helps. Thank you.
Encore.org is published by Civic Ventures. Reprinted with permission. © Civic Ventures. All rights reserved.