When we launched Next Avenue this year, we wanted to create a place “where grown-ups keep growing,” recognizing both the challenges and opportunities life after age 50 presents. We’ve been fascinated to see which articles have resonated most with our readers and decided to gather the top 30 in one place to give everyone a second opportunity to read them and share with others.
1. The 6 Things You Shouldn‘t Say to Your Adult Child
Hint: “How can you live like this?” isn’t a good conversation starter. (Living & Learning)
2. The Risk of Becoming an ‘Almost’ Alcoholic
As we age, alcohol affects us differently and social drinking can become problem drinking. (Health & Well-Being)
3. The New Job-Interview Dress Code
Career clothing has changed, and the skirt-suit is no longer the default job interview attire for women. (Living & Learning)
4. What to Do When You Work for a Bully
If you work for a bully, take these smart steps to protect your job and health. (Work & Purpose)
5. The Fiftysomething Diet
This diet has been devised specifically for people in their 50s seeking both weight loss and optimal nutrition. (Health & Well-Being)
6. What Men Love About Fiftysomething Women
A chunky, frizzy-haired fiftysomething woman was the life of the party. Our author knows why. (Living & Learning)
7. 10 Outrageous Things Adult Kids Should Never Say to Us — but Do Anyway
Smart and snappy comebacks for when our adult children can’t hold their tongues. (Living & Learning)
8. Fiftysomething Diet: 5 Nutrients You Need Right Now
Fortify your diet with vitamins D and B12, omega-3 fatty acids and two essential minerals. (Health & Well-Being)
9. Fiftysomething Diet: 10 Yummy, Healthy Snacks
You can munch these healthful snacks to your heart’s (and waistline’s) content. (Health & Well-Being)
10. Milk Alternatives: Are They Really Better for You, or Is It Hype?
The truth about almond, hemp seed, coconut, rice and soy milks. (Health & Well-Being)
11. Why You Need a ‘Reverse Mentor’ at Work
That twentysomething in the next cubicle can make you more valuable to your boss. (Work & Purpose)
12. How Long Will You Need to Keep Working?
Experts say many Americans will need to work into their 70s, but your circumstances may not fit the mold. Here’s how to figure it out. (Work & Purpose)
13. The Biggest Retirement Mistake Boomers Make
PBS NewsHour business and economics correspondent Paul Solman reveals the smart way to approach retirement. (Work & Purpose)
14. Laid Off at 60: What to Do Next
Losing your job can be painful financially and emotionally, but these seven tips will help you move forward. (Work & Purpose)
15. In a Rut? 4 Ways to Get Unstuck
Take these concrete steps to reboot your life. (Living & Learning)
16. 6 Ways People Over 50 Can Find Jobs They’ll Love
Older job seekers worry about age discrimination with good reason. Everyone is finding it more difficult to land the right job in today’s harsh market. How can people over 50 compete successfully with the younger generation? (Work & Purpose)
17. How to Find a Legit Work-From-Home Job
Five tips to help you earn money without leaving the house. (Work & Purpose)
18. 9 Things You Should Never Say to Your Partner
Even happy couples fight. To keep peace in your relationship, here are nine things you should never say to your partner — and three that you should. (Living & Learning)
19. 50 Books to (Re-)Read at 50
The essential short list of novels, nonfiction and biographies. (Living & Learning)
20. 5 Myths About Nutritional Supplements
Many of your assumptions about vitamins and nutritional supplements may be wrong. Here’s a list of the biggest misconceptions. (Health & Well-Being)
21. Should You Pay Off Your Mortgage Early?
You’ll want to answer three key questions to decide whether it makes sense to become free and clear on your home. (Money & Security)
22. The 6 Deadly Excuses of Job Hunters
Workers in their 50s and 60s often make excuses when they can’t find an ideal job. Follow these strategies to get past the alibis. (Work & Purpose)
23. How to Heal a Rift With Your Adult Child
Family feuds are heartbreaking — don’t let pride fuel the problem. (Living & Learning)
24. 10 Secrets to a Successful Retirement
The editor of a new book asked experts and happy retirees to reveal the keys to a fulfilling life after full-time employment. (Work & Purpose)
25. The 10 Best Pet Companions to Have at Your Side
These dog and cat companions provide multiple benefits. (Health and Well-Being)
26. Why You May Not Live as Long as You Think
Increased life expectancy has been the story of our lives. What if it stops being true? (Health & Well-Being)
27. Fiftysomething Diet: 5 Foods Women Need to Eat
New research shows there are foods that specifically help women — not men — age well. (Health & Well-Being)
28. 3 Secrets of Successful Midlife Reinvention
Author Mark S. Walton made these discoveries while interviewing some remarkable men and women. (Work & Purpose)
29. Ideal Places to Grow Older in America
A new ranking of the Best Cities for Successful Aging may influence where you choose to live in retirement. (Living & Learning)
Next Avenue Editors Also Recommend:
Are you one of the 1,679 readers who have supported Next Avenue in 2019?
If so, thank you. Your financial gift helps us fulfill our mission of being an essential source of news and information for older adults. Just as important, your contribution demonstrates that you believe in the value of our work. We have a lot of exciting things planned in 2020 and we need your help to make sure they happen.
Haven’t given yet? Please make a gift today and help us reach our end-of-year goal — any amount helps. Thank you.
© Twin Cities Public Television - 2020. All rights reserved.