Happy birthday, Joan Baez! The folk singer and activist turns 75 on Saturday, January 9.
5 Things You Might Not Know About Joan Baez
- Baez has performed in every decade since the 1950s (seven decades now!)
- She has released 30 albums
- Baez is fluent in Spanish and English, and has recorded songs in six languages
- She’s known as a folk singer, but since the ’60s has diversified into country, gospel and pop music
- Baez has long been a humanitarian, and Amnesty International now gives out the annual Joan Baez Award for Outstanding Inspirational Service in the Global Fight for Human Rights
Joan Baez’s Biggest Hits (according to Billboard)
No. 8: We Shall Overcome
No. 7: Love Is Just a Four-Letter Word
No. 6: In the Quiet Morning
No. 5: Blue Sky
No. 4: There But for Fortune
No. 3: Let It Be
No. 2: Diamonds and Rust
No. 1: The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
Which are YOUR favorites?
If so, thank you. Your financial gift helps us fulfill our mission of being an essential source of news and information for older adults. Just as important, your contribution demonstrates that you believe in the value of our work. We have a lot of exciting things planned in 2020 and we need your help to make sure they happen.
Haven’t given yet? Please make a gift today and help us reach our end-of-year goal — any amount helps. Thank you.