Going out to eat is enjoyable, but restaurants often serve large meals, which can be high in calories, fat and salt. Don’t be afraid to ask how items on the
menu are prepared and request substitutions.
Here are a few tips from Go4Life to help make your meal both delicious and nutritious:
- Order a salad with lean meat, low-fat or fat-free cheese, and other healthy toppings. Choose low-fat or fat-free salad dressing, and ask for the dressing on the side so you can control how much you use.
- Choose foods that are baked, broiled, braised, grilled, steamed, sautéed, or boiled. Avoid fried food.
- Hold the “special sauces.” Ask the kitchen not to top your dish with butter or whipped cream.
- Select foods with a tomato-based or red sauce instead of a cream-based or white sauce. Tomato-based sauces usually contain more vitamins, less fat, and fewer calories.
- Use portion control: Skip the “large” or “super sized.” Ask for “small,” or share a portion.
- Ask for food to be prepared without added salt and don’t add salt at the table.
- Drink water, fat-free or low-fat milk, or other drinks without added sugars.
- Instead of fries, try a small baked potato, side salad with low-fat or fat-free dressing or fruit.
- Order an item from the menu instead of heading for the “all-you-can-eat” buffet.
- If you take home leftovers, get them into the refrigerator within two hours — sooner if the temperature outside is above 90° F.
For more ideas on healthy eating, read "What’s on Your Plate? Smart Food Choices for Healthy Aging."
Based on content from Go4Life ® , the exercise and physical activity campaign from the NIH/National Institute on Aging.
Next Avenue Editors Also Recommend:
- Fiftysomething Diet: 10 Yummy, Healthy Snacks
- Fiftysomething Diet: Make a Healthier Breakfast
- Fiftysomething Diet: 5 Powerful Weight-Loss Boosters
- Fiftysomething Diet: 5 Super Healthy Bowls
If so, thank you. Your financial gift helps us fulfill our mission of being an essential source of news and information for older adults. Just as important, your contribution demonstrates that you believe in the value of our work. We have a lot of exciting things planned in 2020 and we need your help to make sure they happen.
Haven’t given yet? Please make a gift today and help us reach our end-of-year goal — any amount helps. Thank you.