Like most people, you have probably heard that exercise and physical activity are good for you.
Here are three tips to help you get started and keep going.
1. Include physical activity in your everyday life.
- Make it a priority. Put physical activity on your “to do” list every day.
- Make it easy and fun. Do things you enjoy, but pick up the pace a bit.
- Make it social. Ask a friend or family member to be your “exercise buddy.”
- Make it happen. Choose to be active in many places and in many ways.
2. Try all four types of exercise.
To help you get the most health benefits, choose each of the four types of exercise:
3. Plan for breaks in your routine
Vacation? Flu? Out-of-town guests? Many things can interrupt your physical activity routine, but you can start exercising again and be successful.
- Go easy on yourself. You are not alone.
- The sooner you resume some sort of activity, the easier it will be to get back into your routine.
- Think about the reasons you started exercising.
- Believe in yourself.
Try being active first thing in the morning before you get busy.
Next Avenue Editors Also Recommend:
- Exercise: Even When Cheap, It’s Still Priceless
- Find an Exercise That’s Enjoyable
- Find Your Motivation to Maintain an Exercise Program
If so, thank you. Your financial gift helps us fulfill our mission of being an essential source of news and information for older adults. Just as important, your contribution demonstrates that you believe in the value of our work. We have a lot of exciting things planned in 2020 and we need your help to make sure they happen.
Haven’t given yet? Please make a gift today and help us reach our end-of-year goal — any amount helps. Thank you.